This is a temporary, part-time position working two 4-hour shifts, total eight (8) hours per week for six (6) months reporting to the Chief Executive Officer or delegate. The term may be extended for another twelve (12) months based on need and performance.
Purpose of the Position
The Custodian/General Labourer will perform monitoring duties such as patrolling buildings and grounds and enforcing facility regulations for the Conklin Resource Development Advisory Committee (CRDAC). Additionally, this position will perform internal/external maintenance, repair duties, or other general tasks as assigned. The Custodian/General Labourer will ensure that the facility and property is maintained in a healthy, safe, and sanitary manner. This trusting and multitasked-oriented individual will be mainly working independently.
Please note that this position requires moderate physical demands such as heavy-lifting and/or require physical stamina and endurance.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Grade 12 is an asset, but not required;
- Certificate in First Aid or be willing to acquire the certification;
- Attainment of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (“WHMIS”) Certificate is preferred and considered a valuable asset, or the incumbent must be willing to complete the course;
- Proficiency in the knowledge of standard cleaning procedures, chemicals, products and equipment;
- Ability to read and understand labels and instructions particularly on the use and application of cleaning chemicals and products;
- Ability to work independently and under limited supervision;
- Related six (6) months experience;
- A personal vehicle for business use is preferred but not required; and
- The incumbent must be able to remain discreet, maintain confidential information, and be knowledgeable of correct protocol for specific situations and/or emergencies.
Skills and Attributes
- The ability to work well independently on several tasks concurrently and possess adequate communication (written and oral) and interpersonal, analytical, critical thinking, decision-making, and problem solving skills;
- Time management, organizational and prioritizing skills, and demonstrate excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts in a manner that builds trust, credibility, and rapport;
- High emotional intelligence capacity including the ability to deal effectively with confidence, composure, and neutrality in conflict and/or emergency situations;
- The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Be honest, trustworthy, and respectful;
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity; and
- Be flexible and demonstrate a sound work ethic.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform workplace and property inspections and assess/control hazards;
- Complete and maintain records and documentation including maintenance and monitoring logs and hazard incident reports;
- Support the Administration in the development of protocols and guidelines related to safety and workplace hazard assessment and control;
- Report damages and acts of vandalism;
- Replenish and maintain adequate supply of toiletries, maintenance supplies such as cleaning materials and products, and building supplies;
- Monitor and keep record of supplies required for building repairs and facility and property maintenance;
- Maintain, monitor and secure storage areas, cleaning equipment, materials and supplies in a safe and orderly manner to ensure safety of staff and public;
- Perform internal and external maintenance and repair work such as:
- Clean offices, boardrooms, kitchen and washroom facilities;
- Mop tile and/or concrete areas;
- Vacuum all carpeted areas;
- Dust all furniture and fixtures as required;
- Wash and disinfect kitchen sinks and counters;
- Wash and disinfect washroom floors, toilets, toilet seats, sinks, counters, hand dryers, and fixtures;
- Clean all mirrors;
- Empty all waste baskets and garbage cans, and store in appropriate and designated store bins;
- Clean/wash entrance and exit areas including floors, glass, doors and hardware;
- Maintain outdoor areas including entrance/exit areas, walkways, and parking areas clear of snow and/or other debris to ensure safety of staff and public;
- Clean/wash all indoor wall, doors, air vents, blinds, and hardware as required;
- Scheduled thorough/detailed cleaning; and
- Perform and/or report minor maintenance repairs.
- Perform other general labour duties such as:
- Moving and/or storing equipment, supplies, and other materials;
- Loading and unloading of merchandise;
- Light landscaping duties around the premises;
- Removal of debris or trash while ensuring safe disposal of any hazardous waste;
- Assist in recycling duties; and
- Aid the Portfolio & Events Coordinator and perform general labour duties to help support programming and community events.
- Perform other related duties as required by the Chief Executive Officer.
Salary and Wages
A competitive salary will be offered. Comprehensive benefits including dental and vision care, extended health care, and life insurance will be offered upon one year extension.
While we sincerely appreciate all applicants, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in working with CRDAC! We look forward to hearing from you.